• Differential Diagnosis of Diffuse Pulmonary Disorders Using Genetics
• Genetics and Pharmacogenetics of Asthma
• Genetics and Pharmacogenetics of COPD
• The Evolution of Precision Medicine in Cystic Fibrosis
• Genetics of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
• Genetics of Lung Cancer
• Chest Imaging for Precision Medicine
• Biobanking for Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine
• Biomarkers in Obstructive Airway Diseases
• Biomarkers in Interstitial Lung Diseases
• Molecular Diagnostics in Pulmonary Infections
• Biomarkers in Critical Care Illness: ARDS and Sepsis
• Lessons for Precision Medicine from Lung Cancer
• COPD Phenotyping
• Precision Medicine in Pulmonary Hypertension
• Identifying Subtypes of Obstructive Sleep Apnea
• Precision Medicine in Critical Illness: Sepsis and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
• Mobile Applications and Wearables for Chronic Respiratory Diseases Monitoring
• Personal Environmental Monitoring
• Tele-ICU in Precision Medicine: It’s Not What You Do It’s How You Do It
• Lung Transplantation and Precision Medicine
• Precision in Mechanical Ventilation
• Precision Medicine for Cigarette Smoking Addiction
• Implementing COPD Precision Medicine in Clinical Practice
• Precision Medicine For All: Minority Health
• Education for the Practice of Precision Medicine in PCCSM: Creating Tomorrow’s Workforce
• Summary and Future Applications of Precision Medicine in Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine.
This book serves as the primary reference for precision medicine in the fields of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine by documenting principles written by experts in several aspects of precision medicine. It combines fundamental concepts of the field with state-of-the-art studies and how they translate into individual preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic plans.
Precision medicine is focused on the integration of individual variability with disease prevention and treatment principles derived from population studies. This concept has risen to prominence in recent years in parallel with advances in genetics, molecular diagnostics and novel target-specific therapies. This fundamental shift in the approach to treatment has broad implications in how we prevent, diagnose and treat disease. Describing key concepts of precision medicine and relating these to pulmonary, critical care and sleep disorders is essential to educate relevant stakeholders and increase the impact of pulmonary precision medicine.
The book is organized into seven sections: introduction; genetics; biomarkers; precise phenotyping; mobile health, wearables and telemedicine; precision therapeutics; and enabling widespread adoption of precision medicine. The chapters are organized with an introduction to the specific theme, followed by its basic concepts. They then delve into how these basic concepts relate to the larger theme of precision medicine, new precision medicine approaches to dealing with these problems, and key takeaway points. Liberally illustrated with images, figures, and tables, the text is thorough and intuitive for clinicians and researchers to learn the processes and applications of precision medicine.
This is an ideal guide for clinicians to learn new precision medicine concepts in the fields of genetics, genomics, mobile health, and how they apply to their practice and their patients, as well as researchers seeking a basic understanding of precision medicine to assist in designing future research studies.
• Provides the first resource for in depth coverage of the use of precision medicine in pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine
• Detail the use of genetics, diagnostics and biomarkers, phenotyping, mobile health, and telemedicine in precision medicine
• Written by leaders in the fields of pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine