• Part One: Foundations of Veterinary Practice
1. Overview of Veterinary Technology
2. Ethical, Legal, and Safety Issues in Veterinary Medicine
3. Practice Management
4. Effective Communication in Veterinary Practice
5. Medical Terminology
• Part Two: Veterinary Diagnostics
6. Diagnostic Imaging
7. Hematology and Hemostasis
8. Clinical Chemistry and Serology
9. Microbiology, Cytology, and Urinalysis
• Part Three: Veterinary Therapeutics
11. Pharmacology and Pharmacy
12. Pathology, Response to Disease, and Preventive Medicine
13. Management of Wounds, Fractures, and Other Injuries
14. Anesthesia, Analgesia, and Anesthetic Nursing
15. Principles of Surgical Nursing
16. Fluid Therapy and Blood Transfusion
17. Emergency and Critical Care
19. Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Complementary Medicine
• Part Four: Animal Care and Husbandry
20. Animal Behavior
21. Physical Restraint
22. Patient History and Physical Examination
24. Nursing Care of Dogs and Cats
25. Nursing Care of Horses
26. Nursing Care of Food Animals, Camelids, and Ratites
27. Nursing Care of Companion Birds, Reptiles, and Amphibians
28. Nursing Care of Orphaned and Injured Wild Animals
29. Nursing Care of Laboratory Animals Glossary
Develop strong critical thinking and independent work skills! Principles and Practice of Veterinary Technology, 5th Edition features more than 80 illustrated, step-by-step procedures that emphasize the technician's roles and responsibilities for all AVMA-required psychomotor techniques. This edition includes expanded coverage of complementary medicine, critical care, pet health insurance, and toxicology. Plus, dozens of summary tables and boxes make it easy to find key information.
Step-by-step procedures include instructions for all AVMA-required psychomotor techniques, presenting complex procedures clearly and preparing you to master the essential skills required to become a successful veterinary technician.
Clinical discussions clearly delineate the technician's role, enabling you to focus on your roles and responsibilities in every aspect of practice.
Summary tables and boxes throughout the text condense complex, vital information, drawing your attention to key information and making it easy to understand.
Thoroughly updated content throughout, including major updates to anesthesia, pain management, critical care, and infectious disease, provides the most up-to-date information in these critical areas.