• Part 1: The Practice of Phlebotomy
1. Introduction to Phlebotomy
2. Anatomy and Physiology
3. Infectious Diseases and Their Prevention
4. Medical Terminology
6. Proper Procedures for Venipuncture
7. Special Collection Procedures
8. Neonatal and Geriatric Procedures and Considerations
9. Considerations and Complications of Phlebotomy
10. The Versatile Phlebotomist and Point-of-Care Testing
• Part 2: Professional Issues
11. Interpersonal Communication and Professionalism
12. Phlebotomy Department Management
13. Total Quality in Phlebotomy Service
14. Medical-Legal Issues and Health Law Procedures
Appendix A: Answers to Chapter Review Questions
Appendix B: Practice Examination for Certification
Appendix C: Helpful Spanish Terms and Phrases
Featuring concise, easy-to-read coverage, Procedures in Phlebotomy, 5th Edition, provides clear guidelines for performing both basic and special phlebotomy techniques. It describes proper procedures for venipuncture, special collection procedures, and pediatric and geriatric considerations, and addresses essential topics such as infection control, OSHA guidelines, and anatomy and physiology. It also discusses professional issues such as interpersonal communication, department management, total quality, and medical-legal topics. This edition includes enhanced infection control and prevention protocols, updated healthcare law coverage, expanded review questions, and an updated practice test to prepare you for classroom and certification success.
• Step-by-step, illustrated procedures clearly outline essential phlebotomy competencies and techniques.
• Essentials approach focuses on the need-to-know basics required to practice phlebotomy.
• Case scenarios woven throughout the chapters help you continually apply content to practice.
• Review questions in each chapter test your ability to recall information and apply critical thinking skills; answers and rationales are included in the appendices.
• Mock certification exam with 150 multiple-choice questions and answers provides valuable practice for the credentialing test.
• Safety Summary focuses on key points to ensure safe practice.
• Competency checklists facilitate peer, instructor, and self-evaluation on clinical procedures progress.
• Key terms are listed at the beginning of each chapter, highlighted in the text, and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Protocols for enhanced infection control and prevention address COVID-19 and other emerging pathogens.
• UPDATED! Healthcare law coverage includes up-to-date content on the latest clinical guidelines.
• EXPANDED and REVISED! Review questions and a practice test help prepare you for classroom and certification success.
• NEW! COVID-19 content included throughout where relevant.
John C. Flynn, Jr., PhD, MT(ASCP), SBB, Adjunct Instructor Medical Laboratory Technology Program Harcum College Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania