This revised and updated book provides a simplified approach to interpreting most diagnostic tests in the field of respiratory medicine. Easy to understand and practical, it contains more than 125 illustrated diagrams and over 50 tables with essential information that summarize the various diagnostic tests and interpretative approaches in a simple and understandable fashion. Of special note are chapters on exercise testing and diagnostic tests for sleep disorders, the latter a new and emerging field. This new edition contains revised information based on the newest ATS guidelines.
Pulmonary Function Tests in Clinical Practice Second Edition assists residents and fellows in internal medicine, pulmonology, allergology and critical care by explaining the key information obtained from lung volume measurement and increases understanding of pulmonary function tests within the modern diagnostic armamentarium.
• Provides a simplified approach to interpreting most diagnostic tests in the field of respiratory medicine
• Features up to date and accurate information covering well established and emerging tests methods
• Highly illustrated and well referenced for further reading
• Dr. Altalag is a senior consultant intensivist, pulmonologist and echocardiographist in the department of intensive care services at Prince Sultan Military Medical City (PSMMC), Riyadh. He did his training in pulmonology at the University of British Columbia and in adult critical care and echocardiography at the University of Toronto. He is currently the head of the adult general intensive care unit at PSMMC and is also the founder and former director of the Saudi Thoracic Imaging Group (STIG) at the Saudi Thoracic Society (STS). His main interests beside pulmonary function tests are point-of-care ultrasonography and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for the critical ill patients.
• Dr Road is Professor of Medicine and respirologist at University of British Columbia. He is medical director of the Pulmonary Function laboratory at UBC and Vancouver General Hospitals. He has been a member of the Lung Function Committee of the Canadian Thoracic Society and a member of the Diagnostic Accreditation Program Lung Function Committee of BC. Dr Road has had an ongoing interest in Quality Control in lung function testing. His research and clinical interests include respiratory muscle function and control as well as home ventilation and COPD.
• Dr. Wilcox is a Respirologist at St. Paul's Hospital and Professor of Medicine at the University of British Columbia. He is the Medical Director of the Providence Health Care Pulmonary Function Laboratory at St. Paul's Hospital and a Co-Director of the Scleroderma Respiratory Clinic. He is the Medical Director for the UBC Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program based at St. Paul's Hospital. He is associated with the James Hogg Research Centre at St. Paul’s Hospital and the UBC Institute of Heart and Lung Health. His research interests include clinical research in cystic fibrosis as well as pulmonary manifestations of connective tissue disorders. He is also certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr Aboulhosn is a Clinical Instructor at the University of British Columbia and a Respirologist in Victoria, BC with a clinical focus on adult cystic fibrosis (CF) and professional interest in exercise-induced respiratory disease. His practice includes General Respirology, sleep medicine, CF, as well as bronchoscopy with endobronchial ultrasound.