This book covers all fields in rheumatology and aims to help readers comprehend, familiarize and evaluate their knowledge of the subject area. It contains short questions and concise answers on definitions, pathogenetic aspects, clinical and laboratory manifestations, differential diagnosis and the management of all rheumatic diseases.
The book also provides questions and answers on major aspects of basic immunology, valuable for understanding underlying immunological mechanisms of autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Illustrations and images help present information in a clear and schematic way.
• Written by experts in the field
• Contains self-assessment exercises
• Utilises original patient photos
• Haralampos M. Moutsopoulos, MD, FACP, FRCP is a Professor and Head of the Department of Pathophysiology, Medical School, University of Athens, Greece. He has contributed to current understanding of the clinical aspects, pathogenesis and therapy of autoimmune rheumatic disorders. He is considered a world authority on Sjögren's syndrome (autoimmune epithelitis). His scientific work is extensively cited and he has been presented with numerous national and international awards.
• Evangelia Zampeli, MD, PhD, obtained her medical degree in 2003 from the University of Pécs, Hungary, before obtaining a PhD in immunopharmacology from the University of Athens. She has worked as a research fellow in the field of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and is a member of the ATACC-RA consortium. She has written extensively about autoimmune disease issues and has been published 31 times in peer reviewed journals.
• Panayiotis G. Vlachoyiannopoulos, MD, PhD, has been Professor of Medicine and Immunology at the University of Athens School of Medicine since 2011. He has been a Faculty member in this department since 1994 and in this time has contributed research to the study of clinical presentation, epidemiology and pathogenic aspects of systemic autoimmune connective tissue diseases. He has written extensively on these topics and has published 126 peers review journal articles.