PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession
1. History of Dentistry
2. The Professional Dental Assistant
3. The Dental Healthcare Team
4. Dental Ethics
5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry
6. General Anatomy
7. General Physiology
8. Oral Embryology and Histology
9. Head and Neck Anatomy
10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity
11. Overview of the Dentitions
12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease
13. Dental Caries
14. Periodontal Disease
15. Preventive Dentistry
17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry
19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention
20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection
21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization
PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety
22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies
23. Chemical and Waste Management
24. Dental Unit Waterlines
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment
26. The Patient's Dental Record
27. Vital Signs
28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient
30. Principles of Pharmacology
31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry
32. The Dental Office
33. Delivering Dental Care
34. Dental Hand Instruments
35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories
36. Moisture Control
37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging
38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety
39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs
40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention
41. Intraoral Imaging
42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials
43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials
44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems
45. Dental Cements
46. Impression Materials and Techniques
47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures
PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care
48. General Dentistry
49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry
50. Fixed Prosthodontics
51. Provisional Coverage
52. Removable Prosthodontics
53. Dental Implants
56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
57. Pediatric Dentistry
58. Coronal Polishing
59. Dental Sealants
PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills
61. Communication in the Dental Office
62. Business Operating Systems
63. Financial Management in the Dental Office
64. Marketing Your Skills
Learn to hone your dental assisting knowledge and skills with this bestselling workbook. Featuring reinforcement exercises and application activities that correspond chapter-by-chapter to the content covered in Bird & Robinson’s Modern Dental Assisting, 13th Edition, this workbook gives you the practice you need to master both dental assisting concepts and practical office skills. The workbook comes with original practice management exercises that correspond to the Dentrix software available on Evolve. Also included are ample content review questions, case applications with questions, competency skills evaluation sheets for practice with dental assisting procedures, and a review of video procedures located on the text’s companion website.
• Seamless content correlation utilizes activities and exercises that reinforce the chapter content that you are currently learning in the main text.
• Practice and review questions for each chapter include short answer, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and labeling questions to help reinforce your understanding of terminology and concepts.
• Competency skill checklists provide clear guidelines for performing each dental assisting skill and help your evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, with pages perforated so that you can detach individual skill sheets for use in clinical settings.
• Dental assisting externship provides information and resources to support practicum.
• Patient case exercises use patients on the companion Evolve website’s Interactive Dental Office and include medical and dental histories, radiographs, and charting to help you solve problems relating to patient health issues.
• Video review sections visually reinforce your understanding of text material.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Information on cultural diversity grounds you in this important topic and how it relates to patient care and patient communication.
• NEW! Coverage of the latest advances in general and specialty dental care matches the updates in the text and addresses technological advancements, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and more.
• NEW! Updated diagrams and visual exercises enable you to expand your visual knowledge.
• UPDATED! Removable flashcards summarize key information about the sciences, medical emergencies, infection control, radiography, dental materials, dental instruments, and dental procedures, offering convenient, on-the-go review and exam preparation.
• NEW! Updated review questions, case applications, and exercises help reinforce your understanding of terminology and concepts from the main text.
• Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Former Director, Dental Education Programs, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California; Former Director, Dental Assisting Program University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
• Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Nutrition, Gilling’s School of Global Public Health; Former Research Assistant, and Project Coordinator, UNC-CH Adams School of Dentistry; Former Director, Dental Assisting and Dental Assisting Specialty Program, UNC-CH Adams, School of Dentistry