• Cortical Region of Diffusively Growing Cells as a Site of Actin-microtubule Cooperation in Cell Wall Synthesis
• Insights into the Cell Wall and Cytoskeletal Regulation by Mechanical Forces in Plants
• Chloroplast Actin Filaments Involved in Chloroplast Photorelocation Movements
• Diversity of the Plant Actin–myosin System
• Actin Cytoskeleton and Action Potentials: Forgotten Connections
• The Actomyosin System in Plant Cell Division: Lessons Learned from Microscopy and Pharmacology
• Cooperation Between Auxin and Actin during the Process of Plant Polar Growth
• Interactions Between the Plant Endomembranes and the Cytoskeleton.
This book focuses on the plant cytoskeleton and its various cross-talks with other cellular components leading to its role in plant growth and development. It not only allows the geometric and signaling dimensions of cells, but is also very important in physiological processes. The book discusses the recent studies showing the role of actin and microtubule cytoskeleton interactions in cell-wall assembly and dynamics. The authors examine the role of both microtubules in the mechanics of plant cells, and actin filaments in the motility of chloroplasts. Based on recent advances in the study of the acto-myosin complex using high-resolution microscopy, they propose a new model for intracellular transport in plants. Exploring an almost-forgotten field of bioelectricity in the context of the cytoskeleton, the book highlights connections between the dynamic actin filaments and the bioelectricity of membranes and demonstrates that the plant cytoskeleton is involved in the distribution of plant hormones. Lastly, it addresses the role of endomembrane -cytoskeleton interactions to show the importance of the cytoskeleton in organelle morphogenesis and cellular functions. Studies in various plant models have shown how the actin filament and microtubules control and coordinate plant cell growth and development. This book summarizes the mechanisms underlying these functions.
• Includes fascinating photographs of the plant cytoskeleton
• Describes the importance of the cytoskeleton in applied fields like food science and agriculture
• Written by eminent scientist from all over the world