• Part 1: Physiology fundamentals
Chapter 1: The delivery and consumption of oxygen
Chapter 2: Shock
Chapter 3: Recognition of shock
Chapter 4: Hypoxia
Chapter 5: The Failure of DO2 – Did What I Do to the Patient Just Work?
• Part 2: ECMO fundamentals
Chapter 6: Introduction to ECMO fundamentals
Chapter 7: Indications and selection of patients for ECMO
Chapter 8: Configurations
Chapter 9: Components, sensors, and circuit access
• Part 3: Physiology of ECMO support
Chapter 10: Flow physiology
Chapter 11: Membrane physiology
Chapter 12: VV ECMO physiology: rationale and drawbacks
Chapter 13: VA ECMO physiology 1: rationale and drawbacks
Chapter 14: VA ECMO physiology 2: retrograde flow
Chapter 15: Central VA ECMO physiology
• Part 4: ECMO management concepts
Chapter 16: Introduction to ECMO management principles
Chapter 17: Blood flow titration and weaning
Chapter 18: Sweep titration and weaning
Chapter 19: Ventilator management on ECMO
Chapter 20: Anticoagulation on ECMO
Chapter 21: Pharmacokinetics
ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) is a crucial form of support for patients with respiratory failure, severe ARDS, COVID-19, and cardiogenic shock whose use has been increasing exponentially around the world. The ECMO Book offers a comprehensive yet approachable framework for understanding the principles of extracorporeal support as well as the subtleties related to the care of patients needing ECMO. Dr. Jeffrey DellaVolpe provides authoritative, consistent guidance on all aspects of ECMO, making complex information understandable and accessible and helping you increase your knowledge of and proficiency with this multifaceted therapy.
• Establishes the context of ECMO in the care of critically ill patients (patient selection, indications, contraindications), progressing from basic science information through advanced ECMO concepts.
• Explores physiologic fundamentals and builds on these concepts by applying them to extracorporeal support, equipping you with a sound framework for how those principles can be applied in the day-to-day management of patients with severe cardiac and respiratory failure.
• Covers key topics such as blood flow titration, sweep gas titration, ventilator management on ECMO, and anticoagulation and bleeding management.
• An eBook version is included with purchase. The eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures and references, with the ability to search, customize your content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.
Jeffrey DellaVolpe, MD, Texas, IPS Medical Center, Pulmonary/Sleep Clinic, San Antonio, Texas