This book gives a comprehensive overview of surgery that results in creating an ileoanal pouch or continent ileostomy. It deals with the entire journey of pouch surgery starting from patient selection and counselling to technical tips and tricks and ending in managing pouch function and failure. Containing a patient experience section this volume helps clinicians better understand what a patient expects from the ileoanal pouch.
This is a very specialised topic but one that is covered very poorly and this book has the potential to consolidate all that is known about the topic to provide a comprehensive overview on the surgery and its consequences.
• Provides comprehensive account of the indications, surgery and quality of life after ileoanal pouch
• First book to thoroughly inform clinicians on how to advice patient on surgery that involves creation of ileoanal pouch
• Written by a team of international experts on the subject
• Janindra Warusavitarne is a consultant colorectal surgeon at St Mark’s Hospital in the UK. He has extensive experience with surgery for inflammatory bowel and has published widely on the subject. He has given many lectures on the subject of ileoanal pouches and has been innovative and developed new approaches to the technique.
• Zarah Perry-Woodford is a consultant pouch and stoma care nurse at St Mark’s Hospital and provides expert care to patients with ileoanal pouches. She is the lead of the only dedicated pouch nursing service in the UK and has extensive experience in the function of ileoanal pouches. She has written many journal articles on the quality of life after pouch surgery and has also authored a patient information book.