This text presents comprehensive review of the recommendations of the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology for reporting results of respiratory cytology specimens along with advances in diagnostic, prognostic, and predictive immunohistochemical and molecular techniques which can be performed on cytology specimens.The majority of the text focuses on the standardized terminology and nomenclature for respiratory cytology as recommended by the Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology. Each of the diagnostic categories are described in depth and formal definitions for each category are given along with cytologic criteria. Explanatory notes are given discussing limitations of the category as well as its malignancy risk and reproducibility. Management recommendations are supplied for each category. Sample reports documenting the preferred reporting format are also given. Each category is associated with a reference list establishing the evidence based nature of the categories.
An in depth discussion of ancillary testing is provided, including the utilization of microbiologic culture, immunohistochemistry, and molecular techniques. Substantial emphasis is placed on molecular diagnostics necessary for optimization of personalized testing and the appropriate use of targeted therapies. The text represents a comprehensive resource for the state of the science of the cytologic diagnosis of respiratory lesions.
• Substantial emphasis is placed on molecular diagnostics
• Provides management recommendations for each category
• Richly illustrated with illustrations and color photographs
• Lester J. Layfield, MD. Professor and Chair. Department of Pathology & Anatomical Sciences. University of Missouri. One Hospital Drive. M263 Medical Sciences Building. Columbia, MO . USA
• Zubair W. Baloch, MD, PhD. . Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine.. Department of Pathology &. Laboratory Medicine. Philadelphia, PA . USA