Focusing on the practical skills needed to establish rapport with patients and gain valuable clinical insights,The Psychiatric Interview, 5th Edition, offers a practical, concise approach to improving interviewing skills. Noted psychiatrist and award-winning mental health journalist Dr. Daniel J. Carlat uses a proven combination of mnemonics, specific techniques for approaching threatening topics, and phrasing examples to illustrate the nuances of the interviewing process, making this easy-to-digest text essential reading for trainees and practitioners in psychiatry, psychology, nursing, social work, and related fields.
• Offers a concise, real-world approach to the psychiatric interview, filled with tips and pearls to develop confidence in interviewing
• Brings you up to speed with the DSM 5-TR and current research, and includes a new chapter on techniques for the agitated patient and a new discussion of prolonged grief
• Contains focused, practical sections on general principles of effective interviewing, obtaining the psychiatric history, and interviewing for diagnosis
• Uses mnemonics and pocket cards to help you understand and remember key elements of the effective interview
• Provides clear techniques for approaching threatening topics, and shows how relationships that are endangered can be repaired
• Presents information in an engaging, conversational manner, helping you form an alliance with each patient in order to promote cooperation and effective treatment
Enrich Your eBook Reading Experience
• Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
• Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.