Detailed table of contents vii
List of contributors xiii
List of abbreviations xv
Quick reference to the procedure guidelines xvii
How to use your manual xix
Chapter 1 Diagnostic investigations 1
Chapter 2 Haematological procedures 57
Chapter 3 Cancer pain assessment and management 91
Chapter 4 Administration of systemic anticancer therapies 131
Chapter 5 Radionuclide therapy 201
Chapter 6 Wound management 227
Chapter 7 Acute oncology 253
Chapter 8 Living with and beyond cancer 311
Chapter 9 End of life care 403
The Royal Marsden is the world’s first hospital dedicated to cancer diagnosis, treatment, research and education – a centre of excellence with an international reputation for ground-breaking research and pioneering the very latest in cancer treatments and technologies, as well as specialising in cancer diagnosis and education.
This companion volume to the internationally successful The Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures is designed to support practitioners who work specifically with oncology patients by providing detailed evidence-based procedures and rationale, and problem-solving guidance on all aspects of oncology nursing.
The Royal Marsden Manual of Cancer Nursing Procedures:
• Is organized and structured to represent the needs of the patient along their care pathway
• Provides the latest evidence underpinning all procedures
• Includes information on haematological procedures; pain assessment and management; wound care; oncological emergencies; and end-of-life care
• Gives detailed guidelines on supporting patients living with cancer with practical information on such things as benefits, exercise and nutrition.
The Royal Marsden Manual of Cancer Nursing Procedures is an invaluable, definitive resource for all those involved in the provision of cancer care and support to patients and their families.
• Lisa Dougherty OBE, RN, MSc, DClinP, Nurse Consultant Intravenous Therapy, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, UK.
• Sara Lister RN, PGDAE, BSc(Hons), MSC, MBACP, The Pastoral Care Centre, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, UK.