1. Acoustic Description and Mechanical Action of Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound (LIPUS)
2. Mechanisms of LIPUS on Dentofacial Bioengineering
3. Application of LIPUS for Bone Healing
4. Application of LIPUS to Skeletal Muscles
5. Application of LIPUS to Periodontal Tissue Regeneration
6. Application of LIPUS to the Temporomandibular Joint
7. Application of LIPUS to Salivary Glands
8. Application of LIPUS in Orthodontics
9. Clinical Application of LIPUS in the Dentofacial Region
10. Clinical Application of Shockwave Therapy in Orthodontics
11. Pulp Cell Differentiation and Future Directions of LIPUS
This book highlights the potential of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound, or LIPUS, to introduce a new era in dentistry by revolutionizing the approach to dental treatment and providing a cure for pathologic conditions long considered untreatable. Readers will find information on all aspects of LIPUS, from its mode of action and biologic mechanisms to the full range of emerging clinical applications. The role of LIPUS in promoting dental tissue repair and regeneration and in tissue engineering is fully explained in a series of chapters focusing on stimulation of cell metabolism in the dentocraniofacial region, bone healing, periodontal regeneration, the temporomandibular joint, pulp cell differentiation, the salivary glands, and orthodontics. The past two decades have witnessed numerous discoveries that have enhanced the scope for use of therapeutic ultrasound in dentistry. In summarizing the latest knowledge in this exciting field, the book will be of interest to dental surgeons, orthodontists, periodontists, and other practitioners.
• Highlights the potential of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound (LIPUS) to revolutionize dental treatment
• Describes the full range of potential applications
• Explains the mode of action and biologic mechanisms
• Tarek El-Bialy is Professor of Orthodontics and Adjunct Professor in Biomedical Engineering with Tenure at the 7-020D Katz Group Centre for Pharmacy and Health Research, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Dr. El-Bialy gained his BDS from the Faculty of Dentistry, Tanta University, Egypt in 1987 and subsequently gained MSc degrees in Orthodontics (1993, Tanta University) , Law License degree (1994, Tanta University) and Oral Sciences (College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2000). He completed a Certificate of Specialty in Orthodontics and PhD in Bioengineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2001. Dr. El-Bialy is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics and a Fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. He joined the University of Alberta in 2005, having previously been Assistant Professor of Orthodontics and Bioengineering at King Abdulaziz University (KAAU), Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. He is the author of almost 81 original articles in peer-reviewed journals as well as two books and many reviews and book chapters. He has been invited as keynote speaker in many International. conferences.
• Eiji Tanaka is Professor and Chair of the Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Tokushima University Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan. He graduated from Osaka University Faculty of Dentistry in 1988 and went on to complete his PhD in 1993. He gained his special license as an orthodontist in the same year, and his orthodontic instructor license in 2000. He is also an accredited specialist in temporomandibular disorders. He took up his current post in 2008 and in May 2015 was appointed Distinguished Adjunct Professor at King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Dr. Tanaka is on the editorial boards of various journals, including Orthodontics and Craniofacial Research and the Journal of Dentistry Research. He is an Associate Editor of the Annals of Biomedical Engineering and is on the Board of Editorial Consultants for the Journal of Biomechanics. He is the author of more than 210 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
• Dror Aizenbudns-serif" is Professor and Chair of the Department of Orthodontics and Craniofacial Anomalies, Rambam Health Care Campus and the Head of the Oral Biology Research Laboratory Faculty of Medicine Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel. He graduated from the Hebrew University Hadassah Faculty of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel, in 1990 with the combined DMD MSc degree. He spent one year of residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Rambam Medical Center. In 1994 he gained his special license as an orthodontist from the Orthodontic Department at the Hebrew University Hadassah Faculty of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel. In 1998 he completed a fellowship program in Craniofacial Orthodontics in the University of Illinois at Chicago's Craniofacial Center. Prof. Aizenbud He has been a visiting professor at many international institutes including University of North Carolina, NC, USA, Stanford University, California, USA and Sapienza Universita Di Roma. He has published more than 160 peer reviewed publications and 5 books/book chapters. He has been invited as keynote speaker in may international conference. He is a pioneer in using Shockwaves in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics.