Urine tests are used by a variety of primary care providers and specialists in order to diagnose, monitor and treat patients with various medical conditions. This first-of-its-kind text is a comprehensive clinical guide to the evaluation and application of urine tests. Clinical cases are used to highlight important aspects of urine testing. Further evaluation and management are then discussed based on the results of the urine tests.
Topics covered include financial considerations, regulations, proper collection, testing methods, dipstick analysis, microscopy as well as cancer and drug screening tests, among others. Each chapter contains specific objectives for focus of study. Pertinent images, algorithms and board style review questions for important topics are also included.
Written by nephrologists, urologists, other specialists and primary care physicians, Urine Tests uses a comprehensive approach to the clinical use of both common and uncommon urine testing. Primarily appealing to practicing primary care physicians, this book is also a useful resource for specialists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, physician fellows, residents and medical students alike.
• Is the first-of-its-kind comprehensive text on the evaluation and applications of urine tests
• Is written by primary care and specialists
• Includes best practices and national guidelines from a variety of specialty associations
• Victoria Sharp, MD, MBA obtained her MD degree from the University of Arizona following a BS in Nursing from George Mason University and later an MBA from the University of Iowa. She did residency training in Urology and Family Medicine at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and is Board Certified in Family Medicine. As Clinical Professor of Urology and Family Medicine at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, she practices and teaches medical urology at the Iowa City VA Medical Center on a limited basis. Previously she was Chief Medical Officer for AmeriHealth Caritas Iowa, a Medicaid managed care organization, and is currently a Clinical Transformation Physician Consultant for 3M Health Information Systems. She is interested in quality improvement, performance optimization, and change management.
• Dr. Lisa Antes obtained her MD degree from UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. She completed internal medicine residency and chief residency at Montefiore Medical Center and her nephrology fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. She was in private practice for 2 years prior to joining the nephrology division at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in 2000. She has been the Nephrology Fellowship Program Director since 2015. Her current medical practice incorporates patient care in internal medicine and nephrology and education of students, residents, and fellows.
• Dr. M Lee Sanders obtained his MD degree from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center after completion of a PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences. He completed internal medicine residency and chief residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics followed by completion of both a general nephrology and transplant nephrology fellowship at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Nephrology, and his current medical practice incorporates internal medicine, general nephrology, and transplant nephrology. His academic interests include medical education and kidney transplant outcomes.
• Dr. Gina Lockwood obtained her MD degree from Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. She completed urology residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin. She completed her pediatric urology fellowship at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and obtained her Master of Science degree in Clinical and Translational Research at University of Connecticut. She is Board certified in Urology. She currently practices pediatric urology and has research interests in patient and parent education and quality improvement.