• The Current State of Transgender Care
• Decision-Making Challenges For Patients and Surgeons Regarding Genital Gender Affirming Surgery
• Endocrinological Care for Patients Undergoing Gender Affirmation (including Risk of Thromboembolic Events)
• Preoperative Preparation and Perioperative Considerations for Gender-affirming Genital Surgery
• Surgical Anatomy: Orchiectomy and Fertility Preservation Options
• Surgical Anatomy: Vaginoplasty
• Complications of Vaginoplasty
• Surgical Anatomy--Hysterectomy and Vaginectomy: Hysterectomy for the Transgender Man
• Surgical Anatomy: Metoidioplasty
• Surgical Anatomy: Phalloplasty
• Management of Urologic Complications Following Metoidioplasty and Phalloplasty
• Prosthetics (Erectile Implant, Testicular Implants)
• General Urological and Endourological Considerations in the Care for Transgender Patients (Catheters, Scopes, Haematuria, UTI, Stones, Surgical Positioning)
• Care of the Transgender Patient: Oncological Concerns
• Care of the Transgender Patient: Incontinence
• The Role of Physical Therapy in the Care of the Transgender Patient
• Regrets in Transgender Female: Reversal Phalloplasty
• Robotic Applications in Gender Confirming Genital Surgery
• Brief History of Gender Affirmation Medicine and Surgery.
This book is designed to familiarize general urologists with the care of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals. Written by experts in reconstructive urology, it characterizes the process of gender affirmation and explains the surgical anatomy of both feminizing and masculinizing gender-affirming procedures including vaginoplasty, orchiectomy, hysterectomy, vaginectomy, phalloplasty, metoidioplasty, and prosthetics. Guiding the clinician in identification of immediate and long-term risks of gender-affirming surgery, it instructs clinicians in endocrinological care, options for fertility preservation, evaluation of malignancies after hormonal therapy, appropriate postsurgical follow-up, and the management of common complications involving urethral stricture, fistula, neo-vaginal stenosis, and incontinence.
Urological Care for the Transgender Patient: A Comprehensive Guide is a necessary tool to prepare urological clinics and clinicians in serving the growing population of transgender patients presenting at various stages of their transformation.
• Written by experts in the fields of urology, urogynecology, plastic surgery, endocrinology, pelvic floor therapy, and mental health care who have first-hand experience with transgender patients
• One of few texts on transgender care written specifically for the general urologist
• Includes clinical pearls and guidelines for urologists treating transgender patients post gender-affirmation surgery