1. Basic Terms and Concepts of Mechanical Ventilation
2. How Ventilators Work
3. How a Breath Is Delivered
4. Establishing the Need for Mechanical Ventilation
5. Selecting the Ventilator and the Mode
6. Initial Ventilator Settings
7. Final Considerations in Ventilator Setup
8. Initial Patient Assessment
9. Ventilator Graphics
10. Assessment of Respiratory Function
11. Hemodynamic Monitoring
12. Methods to Improve Ventilation in Patient-Ventilator Management
13. Improving Oxygenation and Management of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
14. Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
15. Sedatives, Analgesics and Paralytics
16. Extrapulmonary Effects of Mechanical Ventilation
17. Effects of Positive Pressure Ventilation on the Pulmonary System
18. Troubleshooting and Problem Solving
19. Basic Concepts of Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation
20. Weaning and Discontinuation From Mechanical Ventilation
21. Long-Term Ventilation
22. Neonatal and Pediatric Mechanical Ventilation
23. Special Techniques in Ventilatory Support
Reinforce your understanding of Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation, 8th Edition with this practical workbook! With chapters corresponding to the textbook by J. M. Cairo, this study tool provides activities and exercises to help you prepare for success on the NBRC examination. It offers a complete review of mechanical ventilation principles, and real-world scenarios help you develop critical thinking skills and apply concepts to the clinical setting. Easy to use, this review helps you focus on the textbook’s most important information.
• Variety of learning activities helps you review content at the recall, application, and analysis levels, and includes crossword puzzles with key terms, critical thinking activities, NBRC-style multiple-choice questions, case study exercises, waveform analyses, and ventilation data analyses, as well as fill-in-the-blank, labeling, and short-answer questions.
• Correlation with Pilbeam’s Mechanical Ventilation, 8th Edition features exercises directly tied to the learning objectives in each chapter of the textbook.
• Critical Thinking questions ask you to apply the content learned, featuring real-life scenarios and reinforcing the very difficult concept of mechanical ventilation with safe, simulated clinical practice.
• Workbook answers are provided on the textbook’s Evolve website.
New To This Edition:
• NEW! Updated content reflects the latest equipment and techniques presented in the 8th edition of the Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation textbook.
• James M. Cairo, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana.
• Sandra T Hinski, PHD, MS, RRT-NPS, Faculty Respiratory Care Division Gateway Community College Phoenix, Arizona