• Decision Making in Geriatric Surgery: More Surgery or Less Surgery?
• Is There Room for Common Sense in Surgical Decision-Making?
• Emergency Medicine Department Management of the Elderly
• Cardiovascular Comorbidities in the Elderly Undergoing Surgery
• Reversal of Oral Anticoagulants in the Elderly
• Frailty Assessment as Measurement of Physiologic Reserves in the Elderly
• Anesthetic Concerns in the Elderly
• Nutrition Support in Elderly Patients Undergoing Surgery
• Neurosurgery in the Elderly
• Caring for the Geriatrics Trauma Patient: The Challenges and the Opportunities
• ENT Surgery in the Elderly
• Thoracic Surgery in the Elderly
• Cardiac Surgery in the Elderly
• Surgical Decisions in Breast Cancer in the Elderly
• Emergency General Surgery in the Elderly
• Inguinal Hernia Repair in the Elderly
• Abdominal Wall Reconstruction in the Elderly: Techniques, Outcomes, and Pitfalls
• Bariatric Surgery in the Elderly
• Vascular Surgery in the Elderly
• Operative Surgical Oncology in the Elderly: Epidemiology, Opportunity, Outcome, and Ethical Issues
• Colorectal Surgery in the Elderly
• Liver Transplant Surgery in the Elderly
• Renal Transplantation in the Elderly
• Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery in the Elderly
• Plastic Surgery in the Elderly
• Drug Use in Elderly During Surgery: They Were Youngsters Once
• Urologic Surgery in the Elderly
• Gynecologic Surgery in the Elderly
• Postoperative Quality of Life in the Elderly
• Surgical Decision Making in the Elderly with Serious Surgical Illness: The Role of Palliative Care
• Family Involvement: What Does a Loved One Want at the End-of-Life?
• Spiritual and Religious Considerations in the Care of the Elderly
• Perioperative Care in the Elderly with Mental Health Issues
• How Do We Teach Medical Students to Care for the Elderly.
This book is designed to present a comprehensive and state-of the-art approach to all aspects of geriatric surgery within the broad confines of surgery in geriatrics including general surgery, neurosurgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, cardiac surgery, surgical oncology, hepatobiliary and transplant surgery, plastic, colorectal, orthopedic, gynecologic, and urologic surgery. The text is split into four parts. The first part is organized under general considerations on the geriatric surgical patient and includes current trends in geriatric surgery, and a number of important general issues such as practical approaches to reversal of bleeding/anticoagulation, role of anesthetic concerns in advanced age, frailty index and measurements of physiological reserves, nutritional support in the elderly, quality of life in the elderly, drug use, and family involvement. Part two of the book focuses on surgery specific system-based problems in geriatric surgical patients. The third part addresses many other important aspects of geriatric surgery including palliative and end of life care for the elderly, religious issues and the elderly care surgery, elderly with mental health issues, and nursing care of elderly patients. The fourth and final part describes the need for geriatric surgical care education and the components that are essential for the curriculum of current and future generations of students.Written by experts in the field,Surgical Decision Making in Geriatricsaddresses patient selection, pre-operative considerations, technical conduct of the most common operations, and avoiding complications.
• Written by experts in the fields of geriatrics and surgery.
• Provides an essential source of practical information in treating the elderly in a number of surgical disciplines.
• Includes extensive figures, illustrations, and photographs to deepen understanding of content.
• Reviews existing literature of each surgical discipline.
• Rifat LatifiThe Felicien Steiche, Professor and Chairman of Surgery New York Medical College, School of MedicineDirector, Department of SurgeryWestchester Medical CenterNew York Medical CollegeValhalla, NYUSA