1. The New Medical World Order: Not So Flat
2. Five Transformative Episodes in the History of the American Hospital
3. Hospital and Healthcare Transformation over Last Few Decades
4. Navigating and Rebuilding Academic Health Systems (AHS)
5. Academic Mission of the New Hospital: More Than Just the Bottom Line
6. The Role of the Hospital in the Healthcare System
7. Can Hospitals Advance Health Equity in the United States? The Influence of Technology, Economics, and Policy
8. The Tall Order of the Modern Hospital: Balancing Patient Care with Economics and Academic Missions – Administrators’ Perspective
9. The Modern Hospital: Patient-Centered and Science-Based
10. Modern Hospitals, Airports, Surgeons, and Pilots: What Do They Have in Common?
11. Disease-Oriented Regionalization Approach: Quality of Care and Volume Above All
12. Volume, Quality, and Research of the Modern Hospital: The Survivable Strategy
13. Precision Medicine: Disruptive Technology in the Modern Hospital
14. Nanotechnology: Managing Molecules for Modern Medicine
15. Advanced Technologies: Paperless Hospital, the Cost and the Benefits
16. Newer Does Not Necessarily Mean Better
17. The Winning Team: Science, Knowledge, Industry, and Information
18. Modern Hospital as Training Grounds Dealing with Resident Issues in New Era
19. Healthcare Provider-Centered: Ergonomics of Movement and Functionality
20. Ergonomics in Minimal Access Surgery
21. Emergency Department of the New Era
22. Trauma Room: “A Minute Man” Operating Room – Managing the Chaos Using Technologies
23. Acute Care Surgical Services: Return to Traditional Surgery as Backbone of the Modern Hospital
24. Ambulatory Surgery Services: Changing the Paradigm of Surgical Practice
25. Cardiac Surgery in the Modern Hospital
26. Transplant Services: The Surgery Is the Least of It
27. The Imaging Department of the Modern Hospital
28. Intensive Care Unit Model of Modern Hospital: Genomically Oriented and Biology-Based
29. Surgeon of the Modern Hospital
30. The Solo Surgeon in the Modern Hospital
31. The Role of Hospitalists in a New Hospital: Physician’s Perspective
32. The Nurse in the Modern Hospital
33. Wound Healing: Proof-of-Principle Model for the Modern Hospital: Patient Stratification, Prediction, Prevention and Personalisation of Treatment
34. Home Healthcare Services as an Extension of Intensive Care Unit
35. The Hospital of the Future: Evidence-Based, Data-Driven
36. Embracing the New Transformation Through Team Approach
37. Patient-Centered Care: Making the Modern Hospital Truly Modern
38. The Architecture of New Hospitals: Complex yet Simple and Beautiful
39. Patient’s Perception is the New Reality: The Intersection of Multiple Stakeholders and Their Experience and Perception of Your Organization, and Why It Matters
40. Surgical Volunteerism as an Extension of Modern Hospital: Serving One Patient at Time and Building Bridges
41. The Human Cost of Modern Hospital and Healthcare
The rapidly growing developments in medicine and science in the last few decades has evoked a greater need for modern institutions, with modern medicine, advanced technologies, and cutting edge research. Today, the modern hospital is a highly competitive, multibillion dollar industry that plays a large role in our healthcare systems. Far different from older institutions, modern hospitals juggle the dynamics of running a business that proves financially fruitful and sustainable, with maintaining and staying ahead of medical developments and offering the best possible patient care.
This comprehensive book explores all aspects of the inner workings of a modern hospital, from research and technology driven treatment and patient centered care, to the organizational, functional, architectural, and ergonomic aspects of the business.
The text is organized into three parts. The first part covers a number of important aspects of the modern hospital including hospital transformation over the centuries, the new medical world order, overall concept, academic mission and economics of new healthcare. Additionally, experts in the field address issues such as modern design functionally and creating an environment that is ergonomically friendly, technologically advanced, and easy to navigate for both worker and patient. Other topics covered include, the role of genomics and nano-technologies, controversies that come with introducing new technologies, the world-wide pharmaceutical industry, electronic medical health records, informatics, and quality of patient care.
Part II addresses nine specific elements of modernization of the hospital that deal with high acuity, life and death situations, and complex medical and surgical diseases. These chapters cover the organization of new emergency departments, trauma room, hybrid operating rooms, intensive care units, radiology, pharmaceutical and nutritional support, and most essential, patient and public relation services. These nine elements reflect the most important and most visible indicators of modernization and transformation of the hospital.
Part III examines and highlights the team approach as a crucial component of the transformation, as well as specific perspectives on the modern hospital from nurses, physicians, surgeons and administrators. Finally, a chapter dedicated to patient perspective is also presented.
The Modern Hospital provides an all-inclusive review of the hospital industry. It will serve as a valuable resource for administrators, clinicians, surgeons, nurses, and researchers. All chapters will be written by practicing experts in their fields and include the most up-to-date scientific and clinical information.
• Provides a comprehensive, state-of-the art review of the modern hospital.
• All chapters are written by practicing experts in their fields.
• Addresses nine specific elements of modernization of the hospital that deal with high acuity, life and death situations and complex medical and surgical diseases.